Brown Plaque № 11589 Photo

Brown plaque № 11589 - Founded AD 1549 Rebuilt AD 1923  The Ship Tavern. This tavern was established in the year 1549. During the proscription of the Roman Catholic religion, it was used as a shelter for Priests and Services were held here secretly. The neighbourhood was once notorious for the gambling houses  of Whetstone Park.  Famous visitors have been Richard Penderell, who aided King Charles' escape, Bayford, shoemaker and antiquarian. The woman Chevalier d'Eon, who lived as a man, and Smeaton the builder of the

Brown Plaque № 11589 Map


Other Blue Plaques in LondonView All Blue Plaques

George Canning Blue Plaque - George Canning 1770-1827 statesman lived here
Jacob Epstein Blue Plaque - The house of Sir Jacob Epstein Sculptor lived and died here 1929-1959
Kate Greenaway Green Plaque - Kate Greenaway 1846-1901 children's book illustrator and artist lived here 1852 - 1873