James South And Thomas Cawley Blue Plaque Photo

James South and Thomas Cawley blue plaque - Observatory Gardens derives its names from the observatory that Sir James South the astronomer built here in 1831 and which contained for a time the largest telescope in the world. After the astronomer's death the site was sold to Thomas Cawley who built the existing houses in the 1880s

James South And Thomas Cawley Blue Plaque Map


Other Blue Plaques in LondonView All Blue Plaques

Black Plaque № 4972 - In these two houses on 2nd October 1882 Westfield College opened its doors for the higher education of women. It is now a College of the University of London with over 1000 students.
William Jackson Hooker And Joseph Dalton Hooker Blue Plaque - Sir William Hooker  1785-1865  Sir Joseph Hooker  1817-1911  Botanists  Directors of  Kew Gardens  lived here
Bronze Plaque № 13030 - The above clock has been given as a memorial to Owen Lankester Esq M.R.C.S. (Chairman Of The Hospital 1902-1933) by subscriptions from his friends 1934.