Clerks Well Stone Plaque Photo

Clerks Well stone plaque - AD 1800. William Round, Joseph Bird, church wardens.      For the better accommodation of the Neighbourhood this Pump was removed to the Spot where it now stands. The spring by which it is supplied is situated four feet eastward and round it as History informs us the Parish Clerks of London in remote Ages annually performed sacred Plays that custom caused it to be denominated Clerks Well and from which this Parish derived its Name. The water was greatly esteemed by the Prior and Brethren of the

Clerks Well Stone Plaque Map


Other Blue Plaques in LondonView All Blue Plaques

Gilbert Bayes Blue Plaque - Gilbert Bayes 1872-1953 sculptor lived here 1931-1953
Jeremy Bentham Black Plaque - JEREMY BENTHAM  Known for many years as the 'Lord Wellington' it is still frequently referred to as the 'Welly Bar' by many of the academics and local residents. Renamed in October 1982 to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the death of Jeremy Bentham who is recognised as the spiritual founder of University College London. The myth that he was the founder is sustained in a bizarre manner by the college.  His 'Auto-Icon' as he called it, is in fact his skeleton, dressed in his own clothes and t
Louis Kossuth Blue Plaque - Louis Kossuth 1802-1894 Hungarian patriot stayed here