Brown Plaque № 12569 Photo

Brown plaque № 12569 - Borough Tube Station    This was a station of the City and South London  Railway that opened in 1890. The line was the world's  first underground electric railway, London's first deep  tunnel 'tube', and the first purpose-built railway tunnel  under the Thames. In 1891 over 5 million passengers  used the line. After reconstruction in 1922, the original  entrance was relocated to its present corner site. During  World War II a tube spur below was used as an air raid  shelter for up to 14,000 pers

Brown Plaque № 12569 Map


Other Blue Plaques in LondonView All Blue Plaques

William Ewart Gladstone And Charles Lyell Blue Plaque - In a house on this site lived from 1854-1875 Sir Charles Lyell 1797-1875 geologist,and from 1876-1882 William Ewart Gladstone 1809-1898 statesman
William Wilberforce Blue Plaque - This church, built by William Wilberforce was consecrated 8 August 1833 and became a parish church 20 May 1926
Hugh Price Hughes Blue Plaque - Hugh Price Hughes 1847-1902 Methodist preacher lived and died here