Parish Lock-up, Hampstead Black Plaque Photo

parish lock-up, Hampstead black plaque - Parish lock-up About 1730, this lock-up was built into the garden wall of Canon Hall, where local magistrates held court. Prisoners were kept in this dark single cell until more lasting arrangements could be made for them. Soon after the formation of the police force in 1829, business was transferred to the Watch House in Holly Walk. This lock-up is one of the very few left in London and is a D.O.E. listed building of historic interest.

Parish Lock-up, Hampstead Black Plaque Map


Other Blue Plaques in LondonView All Blue Plaques

Brass Plaque № 32989 - The Black Friar
Samuel Coleridge-Taylor Blue Plaque - Samuel Coleridge-Taylor 1875-1912 composer of the 'Song of Hiawatha' lived here
Charles Brooking Blue Plaque - Charles Brooking 1723-1759 marine painter lived near this site