Rating: - no reviews yet - Add your review
It is thought that the pub owes its name to Duke of Marlborough John Churchill. The area of Tyburn was used for executions from the 12th century until 1783. The land was probably chosen because it was amid fields big enough to hold large crowds of spectators. Before the construction of a permanent gallows, hanging would have been carried out on the abundance of suitable sturdy trees which stood there. Hanging days were made public holidays and were huge events.
Crowds would gather and food and drink would be sold at stalls where a large grandstand, known as Mother Procter’s Pews, was erected for spectators. Thousands of people were hanged and put to the axe here until it was decided to move the gallows to nearby Newgate. The site of Tyburn is now on the Edgware Road near the corner of Connaught Place. A plaque is set into the footway on a traffic island in Marble Arch just around the corner from the pub.
Events at Marlborough HeadSearch All Events
Marlborough Head has not yet published any events.
Offers at Marlborough HeadView All Offers
Marlborough Head has not yet published any offers.