Samuel Pepys Brown Plaque Photo

Samuel Pepys brown plaque - St James's Church. A Georgian church on a medieval site. St. Mary's Nunnery church was built here in the 12th century. Henry VIII closed the nunnery in 1539, but the church continued as Clerkenwell parish church. Diarist Samuel Pepys came here to look at the local beauties. It was rebuilt in 1792 to the designs of James Carr, a local architect, and has a fine organ by George England Pike.

Samuel Pepys Brown Plaque Map


Other Blue Plaques in LondonView All Blue Plaques

Francis Wragg And Nag's Head, Walthamstowe Blue Plaque - The Nag's Head. Locally Listed building. Erected in 1857 by Francis Wragg as a replacement for the original village inn which stood on the corner of Orford Road/Church End. Wragg ran the local stagecoach service to London and also built the adjacent coach houses for his use
Percy Bysshe Shelley Blue Plaque - Percy Bysshe Shelley 1792-1822 poet lived here in 1811
Kwame Nkrumah Blue Plaque - Kwame Nkrumah 1909-1972 first President of Ghana lived here 1945-1947