Samuel Pepys Brown Plaque Photo

Samuel Pepys brown plaque - St James's Church. A Georgian church on a medieval site. St. Mary's Nunnery church was built here in the 12th century. Henry VIII closed the nunnery in 1539, but the church continued as Clerkenwell parish church. Diarist Samuel Pepys came here to look at the local beauties. It was rebuilt in 1792 to the designs of James Carr, a local architect, and has a fine organ by George England Pike.

Samuel Pepys Brown Plaque Map


Other Blue Plaques in LondonView All Blue Plaques

Walter Scott And Thomas Blackwell Terracotta Plaque - The Cedars. Gateway of The Cedars, home of Thomas Blackwell (died 1907) giver of Harrow Weald Recreation Ground and benefactor of All Saints Harrow Weald and St Anselms Hatch End Churches. House visited in 1806 by Novelist Sir Walter Scott.
Joshua Reynolds Brass Plaque - Sir Joshua Reynolds, 16 July 1723 - 23 February 1792, Portrait Painter.    As a student of Italian art, his work became increasingly classical under the influence of the Bolognese school. In 1768 he was elected the first President of the Royal Academy of Arts and was knighted. From 1760 until his death, he lived and painted in his studio, on the west side of Leicester Square where Fanum House now stands.    He is buried in St. Paul's Cathedral.    The bust is by Henry Weekes (1874)
William Morris Hall Blue Plaque - William Morris Hall Financed by local subscription and erected by voluntary labour in 1909 by members of the William Morris Co-Operative Society as a "Home" for the Socialist/Trades Union/Co-Operative movement in Walthamstow.