William Henry Perkin Blue Plaque Photo

William Henry Perkin blue plaque - Sir William H. Perkin (1838-1907) discovered mauveine, the world’s first synthetic dyestuff, in 1856. He and his brother Thomas produced mauveine from a factory on this site in 1857, and later alizarin, thus laying the foundations of the organic chemicals industry. This replaces a centenary plaque unveiled by Sir R Robinson in 1957.

William Henry Perkin Blue Plaque Map


Other Blue Plaques in LondonView All Blue Plaques

Siegfried Sassoon Green Plaque - Siegfried Sassoon MC Poet, novelist, biographer 1886-1967 lived and worked in a house on this site 1919-1925
Blue Plaque № 9629 - Here stood the Old Watch House or “Cage”. Erected in 1765. Removed in 1912
Blue Plaque № 6102 - In this Court stood Founder's Hall 1531 - 1845 Rebuilt after the Great Fire 1666