Brown Plaque № 11589 Photo

Brown plaque № 11589 - Founded AD 1549 Rebuilt AD 1923  The Ship Tavern. This tavern was established in the year 1549. During the proscription of the Roman Catholic religion, it was used as a shelter for Priests and Services were held here secretly. The neighbourhood was once notorious for the gambling houses  of Whetstone Park.  Famous visitors have been Richard Penderell, who aided King Charles' escape, Bayford, shoemaker and antiquarian. The woman Chevalier d'Eon, who lived as a man, and Smeaton the builder of the

Brown Plaque № 11589 Map


Other Blue Plaques in LondonView All Blue Plaques

Moses Montefiore Blue Plaque - Sir Moses Montefiore 1784-1885 philanthropist and Jewish leader lived here for sixty years
Richard Hodgson And Hawkwood Lodge Blue Plaque - Hawkwood Lodge Locally Listed building. The only surviving structure from the Hawkwood estate erected by Richard Hodgson in the late 1840’s. Hawkwood House itself was demolished following bomb damage in 1944. Hodgson was Lord of the Manor of Chingford St Pauls from 1844 – 1866
Thomas Beecham Blue Plaque - Sir Thomas Beecham, CH 1879-1961 conductor and impresario lived here