Pontefract Castle, London Bronze Plaque Photo

Pontefract Castle, London bronze plaque - Pontefract Castle. The 'Pontefract Castle' on Widmore St. (built between 1719 and 1746) got its name like many other buildings, streets and squares in Marylebone, they are named after the people who built up the area, the estates they held and their family titles.  The Duke of Newcastle had held Pontefract Castle in West Yorkshire for the King in 1642 during the English Civil War and it was John Cavendish Holles, Duke of Newcastle who had begun building the area in Marylebone in 1708.

Pontefract Castle, London Bronze Plaque Map


Other Blue Plaques in LondonView All Blue Plaques

Harold Ridley And Intraocular Lens Black Plaque - The first intraocular lens for the treatment of cataract was implanted by Mr. Harold Ridley FRS at St. Thomas' Hospital on 8th February 1950
Cedric Keith Simpson Green Plaque - Cedric Keith Simpson CBE, MA, MD, LLD, FRCP, FRCPath, DMJ 1907 - 1985 eminent forensic pathologist, emeritus professor of forensic medicine and author, lived here    The Royal College of Pathologists   City of Westminster
Gerard Manley Hopkins Black Plaque - Gerard Manley Hopkins, poet, born 28th July 1844, died 8th June 1889, was born and lived at 87 The Grove Stratford near this site until 1851/2.  'Loathed for a love men knew in them,  Banned by the land of their birth,  Rhine refused them.  Thames would ruin them;  Surf, snow, river and earth  Gnashed: but thou art above, thou Orion of light.'  From: Stanza 21 'The Wreck of the Deutschland'