Brown Plaque № 43662 Photo

Brown plaque № 43662 - Kirkaldy Testing Works   This building was built in 1874 for David Kirkaldy (1820-1897). In 1857 Kirkaldy helped form the Institution of Engineers in Scotland and was the first person to set up a load testing machine for construction materials powerful enough to deal with the largest specimens. The original 48 foot long machine, able to apply a load of over 300 tones, is still in position today.

Brown Plaque № 43662 Map


Other Blue Plaques in LondonView All Blue Plaques

Imperial Society Of Knights Bachelor Blue Plaque - On this site  the Imperial  Society of  Knights  Bachelor  was founded on  27th April 1908
White Plaque № 11180 - West Ham Parish Boundary Stone. 31 W.H.P. WHP 1775 1864 1850.  The dates on this stone show the years in which the boundary was confirmed. It was numbered 31 in 1864, but no longer marks any boundary. Parish boundary markers were beaten in an annual ceremony called The Beating of the Bounds. Parish boundaries were significant because welfare payments, burials and medical treatment for poor people used to be provided by the parish in which they were born.
William Holman-Hunt Blue Plaque - Near this site William Holman Hunt OM Artist Was Born 2nd April 1827